Tuesday, January 17, 2012

How a WM (Woman Marine) Attackes Laundry!

Laundry is the bane of my existence!!! uggghhhh... it is never over - never ever! and the second I think it is all washed, dried, folded and put away... "WHERE DID THAT F'ING SOCK COME FROM?" I try to do laundry every Tuesday and Thursday, the key word here is TRY. There have been times when laundry has been so overwhelming that I simply go out and buy more socks for my kids... I know - don't judge me...
Well, one of my New Year's Resolutions (NYR) is to be more "on top" of my laundry and other household chores. We're only 17 days into it and I must say it is going pretty well. or it WAS going well... I ran out of laundry detergent yesterday. What that normally would mean is I would write a sticky note and post it on the cabinet door right next to the note I put up the to get the couch cushions zippers fixed. That note when up about 3 months ago - - - ok, ok, ok... it went up 6 months ago - GOSH look at all the pointing fingers. (NOTE: there's only 1 pointing finger. My bestie Sharalyn who mentions my To Do sticky every time she visits. That's about once a week.) So back to my empty laundry soap container. It could, seriously, take me 2 weeks to actually remember I need to buy laundry soap and then I am back in the same rut as always. so I took to Pinterest to find a DIY Laundry soap that would be easy and affordable to make, store and use. I found it - Kind of. The ingredients are all available at Walmart, if you aren't the 7thousandth person to read a blog about making your own laundry soap, so in your case you may be SOL. but here is what I used, where I found it and how much it cost:

NOTE: this Laundry Recipe was found on beingcreativetokeepmysanity.blogspot.com she recommends 1 Tbsp per load.

1 (4 lb 12 oz) box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz) found in the detergent isle $3.49 @ Walmart
1 (4 lb) box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg) found in the cooking isle $2.12 @ Walmart
1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz (3 lb 7 oz) found in the detergent isle $3.79 @ Ace Hardware
3 bars of Fels-naptha soap, found in the detergent isle $3.01 @ Walmart ($.97 each)
2 small containers of oxyclean or store brand oxyclean (try to get about 3.5 lbs total (1.58 kg)) found in the detergent isle. $3.92 @ Walmart ($1.96 each)

I opened each container of product and dumped it into a 5 gallon bucket. I ran the soap bars through my food processor with the grater attachment and added that into the bucket. I stuck my arms in and stirred, stirred, stirred. and I had myself a buck of laundry detergent for 16.33 plus tax. not bad. Now to see how long it lasts. I wrote the date and cost on the side of the bucket and can't wait to get cleaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment