Thursday, January 19, 2012

Eat it or starve!

When friends of the big kids come over they never know what they are gonna get for dinner. Some, like Super J, will eat anything. Like my son, Picadilly, he enjoys almost anything I make. He is always welcome at our table. There are others, knowing that on any given night I can bust out Roasted Lamb Chops with mint jelly with a side of roasted root vegetables and blanched green beans, who choose to eat at home before coming over for a game of Dance Party 3 or Modern Warfare. I don't mind either way, but you're gonna eat what I cook or you're going to be hungry. Last night it was pork loin, roasted brussel sprouts and mashed cauliflower. Every kid loved it. Last week all the kids had friends over and it was a night I had planned something pretty special. Poached Sea Bass, Stir fried Bok Choy and White Rice. I had to pick up some more fish, because I only had 2 lbs, but it was a CRAZY HIT!!!! my kid's friends think I'm a nut a serve the weirdest food, but they like it and more importantly they eat it.

Don't get me wrong it isn't always gourmet night at the Janssen's, sometimes is Pep's pizza from down the street. I'm not superwoman for goodness sake. Just some times I get the itch to try something... sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't, but it's always loads of fun. Here is where I'm going to post how I feed kids good food, interesting food, yummy, delicious, "grown up" food that will help them be interesting eaters when they grow up. No body wants to be 35 and eating chicken nuggets when they go out for dinner. and trust me MEN... no woman, or none that I know, want to cook from someone who will only eat hot dogs, spaghetti, and corn. and for the love of all things good and true please eat leftovers. Man, when I was growing up we ate it until it was gone. There were only 3 of us, my dad, my mom and me, and we would eat spaghetti for 3 days in a row if we had to. I went on to marry a man who will eat cheeseburger noodle casserole for breakfast if it's in the fridge, and kids who will too. I don't think my way is the only way, but it's the only way for this family. My husband and I love food, and we were committed to raising kids who love food too. They eat Sushi and Tofu and calamari. They like bok choy and brussel sprouts and sweet potatoes. I actually think my youngest daughter Chacho could be a vegetarian. she can polish of 8oz of tofu like nobody's business and would choose that over a piece of pizza any day.

When I'm in the field (with the Marines) they hand out MRE's (meals ready to eat) and you get what you get. Sometimes it's chicken tetrazzini, and sometimes it's pork rib... NOTE: if you get pork rib it may be better to starve. pack some poggie bait. or if you're lucky and they serve hot chow, everybody eats the same thing. I am not a short order cook, and I am so blessed that my family respects me and my time enough to just be satisfied with what I choose for dinner. I try to make a meal that each individual child will like at least once a month. besides that I cook what I find on sale and I love to try interesting new recipes; my husband loves this. We are trying to serve salad with every dinner and I think Cheese will be next. The french influence in strong and I think cheese will win out soon... we all love cheese.

So until next time: enjoy dinner. and save yourself some heartache. if they don't like it, there's always cereal for breakfast tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment